Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Women in the Outdoors

September 15-17, I went to the Louisiana Women in the Outdoor event in Bunkie, LA.  Kenneth dropped me off at Heather's apartment Friday morning and I rode with her.  I prefer to drive my car, but she taught the jelly making class and had all of her equipment packed in her car so I rode this time.  There were several times over the weekend I wished I had my own vehicle, but I survived.  It was a great event and I made several new friends, learned new things and had a blast!  I won lots of things - home décor, mugs, jelly, a dressy scarf, a Ruger .243 rifle; made some things - a walking stick, a wooden spoon, bottle cap wind chimes; and ate some really good food prepared by the husbands of some of the women putting on the event.  I took six classes - archery, wood carving, kayaking, self defense, sport clay shotgunning and bottle cap art.  I shared a cabin with nine other women and we survived with only two showers, two toilets and three sinks!  We played silly games and bingo Friday night and had raffle drawings, a photo booth and a really good band Saturday night and Heather and I stopped an old college eatery she used to frequent when she went to Northwestern in Natchitoches on the way home.  What a fun weekend I had!!


Got there early enough to get the bottom bunk, thank goodness!!

Liz with our cabin mascot!

My crazy bunkmates who dressed up in the Wild West theme for the weekend.  Heather and I are not ones to dress up...:/

Our archery instructors

 

Look at that form...!!  I've only shot a compound bow once before and I shot better this time.

I was actually hitting the target!!!!

Wendy is a new friend - she was a travel nurse in 2000 and is going to school now to be a PA.

Heather removing her arrows from the target.

Crazy games


This is David.  He taught the wood carving class.  I spent a LOT of time at this table because in between classes, after meals - any free time I had - I sat here and worked with the wood and found that I loved it!


Starting on my walking stick


This is me with Evelyn and David.  Evelyn took the class last year and bought herself a set of tools.  I really enjoyed spending time with these two.

The food was all so good and the company was very enjoyable. 


Suzette, our kayaking instructor.  Such a sweet, sweet lady - enjoyed her a lot!

And what fun we had on the water!  First time for me to kayak (no photo evidence of me, tho) and I loved it!

Took a few trips across the pond and back to get the hang of it, but it was great.


Our whole class taken after we learned some sweet self defense moves!  I worked with the couple next to me and they were great!

Cypress City band - they played some really good music.

Bridgette, Suzette, Wendye, me and Evelyn - we all liked the wood working!

Crazy girl...

The end to a fun, fun trip!  Thanks for inviting me, Heather!

No comments:

Post a Comment