Monday, June 27, 2016

HRPT - Day 1 - Gonzales, Louisiana

Saturday, June 11th we were up bright and early.  Kenneth was up checking the car out and wiping it down so it would look good.  I'm so happy we left early because this turned out to be the only venue with covered parking and we were lucky enough to get a spot under it!  It turned out to be record heat during the whole Power Tour and we got our first taste of it in Gonzales.  High temperatures, high humidity and all that concrete!!  Not to mention we had no air conditioning in the El Camino.  I didn't really think that would be a problem.  I mean, we used to always ride around with no A/C in our vehicle...um...when we dated!!  I had no idea what the heat would do to me that week.  Thankfully, Katie told me to drink Gatorade Tuesday so I was much better the last half of the week but the first couple of days knocked me on my butt.
 
 
Vendors set up at the venue


Before the crowds hit


Taking a break from the heat. When we got to the truck, a man with MS was sitting on the ground, leaning against the bumper with his walker next to him.  Gave him some water and a chair to rest up and his friends finally found him and got him to the air conditioned building.  We saw him several hours later and he was doing fine!

Said I was going to take pictures of all the El Caminos we saw since we rarely see them at the car shows we go to, but there were SO many!  We were so happy to see all of them, but still did not see a 1976 SS.  We spotted a lot of people taking pictures of ours which really made us happy.


Not an El Camino, but my dream car!  1967 Camaro, great striping, great colors...NICE!!









Beautiful, sunny morning but then the rains rolled in.  So glad we got a spot under the shed because it really poured.  We set our chairs up at the front of the shed and watched cars come in and out.  At least the rain cooled things down a bit.  Makes it hard to ride in the truck, though.  All the windows have to go up and it gets a bit stuffy inside!  We waited a while to leave.



While it was raining, I was scrolling on Hot Rod's Facebook page and saw our truck!

Pretty exciting!!

Putting the Hot Rod Power Tour and Long Haul Gang stickers on the window.

Visited the stage every day to punch the timeclock for long haulers hear the announcements

It was really a great first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment