Thursday, August 12, 2021

Montana!

Sunday we got everything ready for travel day Monday.  We pulled out Monday morning and got to Reed Point, MT that afternoon.  It really was a bit too far to go, but it was a bit too short to stop so Kenneth decided to push through.  The wind was really blowing - weather channel said 20-25mph with 35mph gusts - but lots of prayers later, we made it safe, thank the Lord.  Montana, like everywhere else we've been, has been gorgeous!  So unlike anything in the south. And still little, if any, trash-just wide open, clean landscapes.  If they didn't have seven months of cold and snow, I'd want to stay!  My poor, old knees do not like the cold anymore, though, so I'm going to be happy to head back to Louisiana.  Tuesday we made a Walmart run to Columbus, had dinner in town and just chilled at the camper while I caught up on work.  Wednesday we headed up another mountain, this time on the motorcycle and it was a legit mountain!  The farther up we went, the colder and sketchier it got.  We stopped about 3/4 of the way up to take a picture and I requested to start heading back down.  I'm not fond of heights and there were no guardrails on most of the road...nope.  It was too much for me, so back down we came for the long ride back to the camper.





The Stugis hill on the way out of SD



Wide open land driving into Montana...still a haze in the air from all the wildfires.

Wednesday ride...we're headed for that very back mountain range.


Getting closer.


A stop at Foster & Logan's Pub & Grill in Red Lodge, MT for lunch then walked the town for some stocking stuffers.


Love the mountain roads that have the streams running by them.



Beartooth Pass behind us; we're about halfway up the mountain.





I was trying to take a picture over the edge, but couldn't look.  I was just holding my phone out and clicking.  At least this stretch of road had a guardrail!

This is where we turned around.  That gravel?  Straight drop down. And the road going up?  Nope.

I stood behind a big rock and held my phone out...that's all I could do even though a pic over the edge would've been awesome!

SNOW!!  And there's the big rock I stood behind!

We were almost to the top!  

Headed back down...we survived!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment